Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Blessings


The past four days have truly been a trying time for me and my family. Rewind a couple weeks..My dad had a colectomy(removal of the large intestine) on the 5th of November. The surgery went great and he seemed to be on the road to recovery with the exception of pain, quite frankly, a lot of pain. This Saturday night I called him to see how he was doing and he said he felt some pain in his abdomen. I also asked him what his blood sugar was today and he said it was over 500! Now normal should be around 80-120. I thought maybe it was from not taking his diabetes medications consistantly since he had surgery. Sunday morning around 6am my step-mom took my dad to the UofU emergency room because he was in excruciating pain. His Dr. decided to go back in and see if he had a leak in his bowel and found an abcess. After this they could not keep his blood pressure up so he was admitted to the ICU where he was found to be septic. From his blood pressure being so unstable they gave him a large amount of IV fluids but because of the infection the fluid flooded his lungs making it impossible for him to breath.
Jordan and I went up to see him Sunday night and were shocked to see the condition he was in. I have never seen my dad this way. He is always the guy that never gets sick, or never complains if he is sick. Seeing my dad struggling to take a breath broke my heart. The decision was made to put my dad on a ventilator but before that he was able to receive a blessing and we were able to tell him we loved him. I think that night and through Monday morning could have possibly been the worst time of my life. My dad was in such critical condition he had to have a nurse with him at all times. I see people around me that have these struggles, whether it be there parents or their children, but until it actually happens to you, you will never know how it feels. My dad is such a big part of my life, and really the only parent I have here, I didn't feel like I could cope if he passed away.

Things definately got worse before they got better. That whole night was so scary. His kidneys stopped working, his feet turned black because his vital organs were the most important things at that point that needed bloodflow. Around 5:30am Monday he started turning around. Tuesday he was able to come off the ventilator and his kidneys are working now. He was transferred Wednesday out of ICU and is now back at the Huntsman Cancer Institute.

Through fasting and prayer we have received the biggest blessing of all, my dad's recovery. He still has a long way to go but he is a fighter and such a positive person. I know that my Heavenly Father answered my prayers and am so thankful for knowing that we have such an amazing power here on earth; the Priesthood. I love my dad and am so thankful for his example and his selflessness.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Oh man, Kelly, I can't even imagine how scary that would be, having your dad being so close to dying. I'm so glad he's on his way back to recovery. We'll still continue to keep him in our prayers. Love you!

The Baltazars said...

Oh Kelly that is so scary! I hope things are ok! Keep your faith! I have had to learn that one a little better myself lately! But what better power to have on our side! He and you will be in our prayers! Love ya!

aminut said...

O Kell I am just now reading this. I remember your text but didn't know that it had become worse. My tears shed even though he is doing better now b/c that is scary & I'm saddened he/you had to experience that. You are right about not knowing until one experiences it but know you have so many who love & support your family through any trials. I hope you & your family's holidays are full of embracing love. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

I am sorry you had to go through that. You are truly blessed. The Lord gives us blessing every day from the minute to the extraordinary...This was extraordinary! I remember when my dad was sick, unfortunately he didn't come out of it. I don't get on here much but you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

San Diego Zoo

Puke machine